About Me

So here it is...finally I have got round to creating a blog (something I should have done months ago)! Hopefully this will be of some interest to someone out there...? Either way, it will be a place for me to keep track of my journey with Project Trust, and record my highs, lows, and most memorable experiences in South Africa. I will be spending 12 months volunteering in Thembelihle, a home of safety for at-risk children in Mthatha, starting 25th August 2011...'a year in the life of a Project Trust volunteer'!

Friday 1 June 2012

A bit more of the South African experience

Around my busy working life, I have had the chance to travel a bit more of South Africa during my one weekend off a month. At the end of March, I went to the very contrasting city of Durban, famous for it’s curry and tried out a ‘bunny’ (basically half a loaf of bread hollowed out and filled with curry)! Between us, myself and Sarah managed to down a whole 2 pints of milk during the process of eating it – it was really that hot!
I’ve also been to Port Edward and went to the cinema for the first time 9 months and managed to not run down any banana plants whilst quadbiking through a banana plantation – score!
I’ve also been to see some very good friends at Lady Grey who are also Project Trust volunteers, teaching in the arts academy…unfortunately it was their school holidays at the time so I didn’t get to meet their students. This may have explained why the VERY small town felt a bit ghostly and empty. Surrounded by stunning views up in the Drakensburg Mountains, it was easy to see the consrast a couple of hours drive can make on the landscape. The following week the girls came to visit Mthatha…and one of them managed to have a panic attack (literally), hahaha!!! Won’t mention any names R****! ;)

1 comment: