About Me

So here it is...finally I have got round to creating a blog (something I should have done months ago)! Hopefully this will be of some interest to someone out there...? Either way, it will be a place for me to keep track of my journey with Project Trust, and record my highs, lows, and most memorable experiences in South Africa. I will be spending 12 months volunteering in Thembelihle, a home of safety for at-risk children in Mthatha, starting 25th August 2011...'a year in the life of a Project Trust volunteer'!

Friday 18 May 2012

A home visit!

I was given the opportunity to attend two home visits to ex-Thembelihle children…both of whom I had never worked with, but it was still a privilege to attend. Both children lived in the same village and we came with food and clothes donations - I managed to carry a huge sack of Pap on my head through the village, only having to catch it twice as it slid off my head! Everyone found it very amusing seeing a white girl using the traditional African luggage transport method – doh!
The first stop was to a teenage boy who was actually at school when we visited. We arrived at his rondavel which he shares with his Grandfather and dropped off the goods. Unfortunately his Grandfather is extremely frail and bed bound. Although he was only speaking isiXhosa, I could tell that he was either in pain or struggling a lot. The rondavel was very simple and had only one old bed raised on bricks. There was one small table against the wall with only a couple of pots and pans for cooking/washing, and an old rug on the floor. It was such an eye-opener to see what these rondavels are like on the inside and to meet the people who live in them, as I have only seen one before on a village tour organised by a backpackers hostel… It was such a privilege to meet his grandfather, and I only wish I could have met the boy too. He is apparently doing extremely well at school and has won a trophy and numerous certificates for his improvement, effort and achievements! We all here at Thembelihle are extremely proud of him and are hoping to continue to be able to support him and his grandfather in the future!
The second visit was to a teenage girl about a 10 minute walk through the village. She had been back to Thembelihle during the week to visit us, and we were able to provide her and her father who she lives with, with food donations, and also her new born baby with powdered food and other goods.
It’s so nice to meet children outside of the Thembelihle environment and see how South African’s really live and how much Thembelihle has helped them. I am extremely proud of both children and the way they are much more grown up and mature than many people their age back home in the UK…a real eye-opener!

No comments:

Post a Comment